Basic Job Requirements
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to pass entry level testing and screening procedures including
basic knowledge of chosen volunteer skills area(s) and background evaluations
- Ability to successfully complete initial and ongoing training and performance requirements
- Ability to maintain a valid Washington State driver’s license and comply with Agency driver record requirements
- Ability to perform critical work under pressure of emergency situations.
- Ability to work in a closely managed and paramilitary environment.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from high school or completion of a GED
- ICS 100, 200, 700a, 802b course completion
- Successfully complete entry level testing procedures
- Experience working within a highly structured organization
- Experience in following explicit and implicit written and oral orders
- Experience in successful volunteering
- Within the first 6 months, successfully test and obtain an FCC Amateur Radio license at the Technician Class level or higher (if not already licensed)
- Skill to utilize and operate amateur radio equipment, public VHF and 800 MHz radios and systems
- Ability to communicate as an Emergency Communicator
- Must be able to read a computer screen and various reports, letters, documents, and training materials; must be able to drive personal and Agency vehicles; must be able to move about safely at the scene of an incident
- Must be able to frequently communicate, express one’s self, convey, converse, and exchange information with others
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for long periods
- Frequent movement is necessary in an office setting, in meetings, at conferences, etc.
- Occasionally ascends/descends stairs; occasionally positions self to reach high/low work spaces; occasionally kneels; seldom stoops, crouches, or crawls
- Must be able to move, transport, and/or position material up to 25 pounds
- Occasionally operates a computer and other office productivity machinery such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer
- Works in an indoor office setting and outdoor weather conditions.
- Must successfully pass the Agency’s pre-hire background, interviews and drug screen
Working Conditions: Duties may require presence at certain specified locations in order to accomplish required duties. Position subject to call at any time on any day, and is responsible to make a diligent effort to arrive at the assignment in prompt, safe, and timely manner. Work environments also include station duty, classroom and field training, and home study.
Click here for application form: Fire Corps Volunteer Application